Monday, January 02, 2006

Possibilities

10 things to look forward to this year in no particular order, as they are all great in their own special way.


1. Moving. Yes moving as much as I am not looking forward to the task of packing away 3 bookshelves of my husband's comic books, 2 shelves of stuff he uses for reference (he’s a graphic artist), and stuff my children refuse to throw away. I know moving is in our plans this year, perhaps at the end of the month if the deal we are seeking goes smoothly. Don't want to say too much about it, you know what they say about counting your chickens before they hatch. . .

2. Moving to a home that will have an actual bedroom with a door and a lock. For five years my husband and I have been in a one bedroom apartment with our two children. Sound impossible? No darling, everything is possible with Ikea. Really! I've actually enjoyed hiding in the loft bed in the children's room for privacy and quiet. I can blog lots up there. And our new place will have a basement. I’ll stop talking about it, don’t want to ruin our shot at something as precious as more space and privacy.

3. Choosing work ventures carefully. A work situation that will provide some cash and still allow me to have a life not hindered by a job.

4. The television show. Yes I'm going to actually get to stop people on the streets of New York and ask them all sorts of intriguing questions for public access television. I 'll have guests few have ever heard of and we'll talk about real issues and nonsense too! I have no idea what the producer of this show wants me to do, but hey who cares. This is a fantasy many of us want to be called for and few are chosen. And I thought co-hosting a radio show and being a mama was enough!

5. I look forward to getting published. Other wise at the end of the year, I could just as well publish the growing stack of rejection notes, emails, thanks but no thanks etc. One publication actually sent me a letter that had a series of check list in which one of the choices were the following: “We liked this, but it does not met our editorial needs” or some other such nonsense!

6. Spring. I can always look forward to spring. It is the one thing that I know for sure about this year.

7. Writing about a variety of topics. There will always be misery and something to complain about, but I'd like to blog about more.

8. Walking around naked at least once a day. This is a must. For those of you who haven't tried it, you just have forgotten how to live. Walk naked in all the places your mom told you that nudity wasn't polite or decent. Go for the kitchen.

9. Bathing. I've grown up with bathing as a ritual so I look forward to enjoying this passion. I love the sound of the water as it runs into the tub. I love the echo sound of water in my bathroom. We have high ceilings. When I lay in the tub as the water pours in, it's like I'm in a cave. I love the feel of water, the taste, and all the tools of bathing from the type of sponges to the sea salt, and oils or soaps. My favorite soap comes from a factory in Brooklyn right on Atlantic Ave. I can’t remember the name of the brand right now, but they sell this African Black soap that is to die for. I think it’s Nubian Heritage. I love their stuff so much. I could work there. I suppose I could mix soaps to bring in cash. I wonder if it’s done by hand or a machine?

10. Breathing like I mean it.

1 comment:

Sheela Wolford said...

Wonderful! Best top ten I've read or seen in a long time. I am right there with you in choosing work carefully. I am trying to work soley online and yesterday my boss asked me if I'd take physical classes. I said "yes" out of desperation and have walked around sad ever since. Tired of it, but love the interaction, but want it to be more short term...like a workshop and then we all go home and not see each other again. New workshop a week later. LOL, ya know! TV show? I am writing to a broadcast journalist!!? yeah, babyeee