Monday, January 30, 2006

Diary of a Last Chance Effort

I've been calling to stop the Alito nomination this morning. Here's my log:

8:53 a.m.
I start with Senator Joseph R. Biden, Jr. (D-DE). I was on hold for a while listening to some classical music. I then got a live person on the line. I asked my question: Will Senator Biden support John Kerry's filibuster? We need a firm yes or no. I’m polite like the email says I should be. The woman who has answered the phone says, “ Senator Biden has not made a statement. Just watch the news.” I’m taken back by this comment.
“I’ve been watching the news, there’s nothing on about it.” “Just keep watching the news. It’s all I can tell you.” Is she kidding? Well this is the craziest thing I’ve ever heard. No time to ponder such nonsense. Next call.

8:55 a.m.
I call Senator Schumer’s (D-NY) New York Office. No answer after 15 or 20 rings. I call his number at the capital this time. No hello this time. I get the voicemail. I get a message telling me to call the New York office if my call was of an urgent nature. Where are you Senator Schumer? Surely someone should be setting up the coffee maker?


8:57 a.m.
Bill Nelson (D-FL)
I get the capital switchboard. “Yes?” “Senator Bill Nelson’s office please.”
The phone rings and I get an automated voicemail. Bill Nelson voicemail box is full.
It’s weird to hear the “Good-bye” at the end. I haven’t spoken to anyone.

9:01 a.m.
Daniel K. Akaka (D-HI)
I call the switchboard again. “Yes?” “Senator Daniel K. Akaka’s office please?” Voicemail again. “Aloha” That’s pleasant. The voicemail continues to tell me that the office is closed. I’m told to leave a message. They say something at the end that is perhaps a way to say good-bye. I’m tempted to call that one back just to hear the message again and make out the word. Keep going. No time.

9:04 a.m.
Mary Landrieu (D-LA)
I get the switchboard again. Maybe someone recognizes that I’ve called a few times. I ask for Mary Landrieu. I say it Landroo. I’ve mispronounced her name. I was promptly corrected, clearly by someone who was annoyed. Don’t let that change the issue. Don’t get flustered, I tell myself. “I’m sorry, Senator Landrieu.” On her voicemail there is a lot of information for people affected by Hurricane Katrina. It instructs callers to call FEMA and the Red Cross. I feel bad calling. Am I taking up space someone might need on this voicemail? This is important too. I spill out my message in a hurry “ I’m sorry about what has happened in your state and I know that your people need help, but I’m calling about Judge Alito . . .” I end in a real nervous manner, with “Amen.” Now don’t ask me why I said that. It was something about the southern sounding accent on the voicemail. I was thrown off. I start thinking about my Baptist upbringing. By the time I left this message maybe I was now leaving prayers. I got my message across and left my phone number as I had done on much of the voicemail that asked to leave a message.

9:07 a.m.
Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY) capital office again. Busy. This is a good thing.

I continue to let my finger do the walking, in hopes that these senators will get to squawking!

Call 1-888-818-6641/ 888-355-3588 before the vote at 4:30 p.m. today.

1 comment:

Sheela Wolford said...

The only one I'll let slide is Hawaii...like Cali, don't they get the news of the East Coast dead last?! Good work on a good issue, sister.