Tuesday, January 31, 2006

Dairy of a Last Chance Effort-Part 2

I had to leave the house this afternoon to go attend to an errand. I took my cellphone with me. If I have to listen to other people talk about stupid stuff on their cell phones, I can certainly continue calling Senators. The number is toll free.

2:30 p.m.
Byron L. Dogan ( D-ND)

When I ask the question, a representative from his office tells me he will oppose. I ask for clarification and she lets me know he will oppose the filibuster. "Why? I mean how will he vote on Alito?" "I don't know how he will vote." She says. I don't know what else to say. I'm standing near at the corner of Lafayette Street waiting for the light to change. I keep asking myself what is the use.

2:33 p.m.

I dial the toll free number and it just rings. Perhaps the Capital has grown weary of me and the phone calling "we-still-believe-bunch."

2:35 p.m.
My battery is getting real low. I wish I had bought the spare battery with me.

I’m walking down Broadway resisting the temptation to scream. When I get to the corner of Reade and Broadway, a store clerk is on a megaphone trying to get customers to come in. "$7.99, $5.99 come in and check it out!" Right after this nauseating plea, a man starts " Power ball! Get you Power ball tickets!" How do you wake people from the *^%$#@&* sleep they are in and get them to stop shopping from one stinking minute!

I cross the street to avoid some guy who saw me when I walked past him before. "Hey gorgeous" I say hello with my mind on my business and the phone calls I will make. "Hey, you ain't got time to build?" "What does that mean?" I'm usually very dismissive of this kind of approach. "Build, talk" "No I don't have time." In my head I'm really angry. "Build what? What the *#%#@! Do I look like? Did you call your Senator today? Did you help some old lady with her bag of groceries up the steps of her five-story-walk-up? Did you clean up the trash someone left in front of your building? Did you help some homeless, hungry person by passing up on something you wanted for yourself and get them a cup coffee or piece of bread? Did you give them the dollar they asked for without questioning what they wanted it for? Don't get me started!

When I get home I check my email. An email from Rich says, "Give it your all!!!"

At the laundry mat (yes again!) I'm still making calls. I skip down the list a bit.

6:02 p.m.
Joseph I. Lieberman (D-CT)

I still have images of him as running mate to Al Gore all those years ago. The switchboard connects me to his office. I get the voicemail. After the pleasantries of the "If you have an important message or comment, “ I’m told that the voicemail is full.

6:04 p.m.
Daniel K. Inouye (D-HI)

I take some time preparing exactly what I'm going to say. I write a little script on the side. The operator picks up. I ask for the senator. The operator corrects my pronunciation of his name, but the correction isn't as hares or demeaning as it was from the woman in Senator Landrieu's office. The voicemail come on. He is gone for the day. I leave another frustrated message. "A "No" for Alit is not enough! Filibuster!"

Is anyone really listening?

6:09 p.m.
Barrack Bema (D-IL)

I'm thinking about how Barrack Bema supported Condoleezza Rice's nomination for Secretary of State. I try to ignore my disappointment over that. I try to reassure myself that the only black Senator to date, only the third since Reconstruction has to listen. I start talking real fast when I get to that voicemail. " We love you here in Harlem. Please vote no for Alit and consider the filibuster. Think about out best interest." I continue with this diatribe on "Our founding father's creation of a system with checks and balances. Our system is like no other in the world. We need our Congress and Judicial system to keep this president in check." I think I got a bit nervous thinking I would run out of time. I think I said something about my kids and keeping the world with a three-branch system for their sake. I think I said something about our President going "Amuck." I was on a cell phone. I'm sure those who listen got it all on tape.


My daughter is saying something to me. " Can I make a call?" I'm delighted. It seems louder in the laundry mat. All the calls I've made have the sound of Dominican Bachata is playing over the sound system as I plead my case. "Who do you want to call?" I'm looking over the list of senator’s names and numbers. "No mom I don't want to call them, I want to call ____________” This is a boy she has a crush on. Or likes. Or is talking to. This has been going on for two weeks. I tell her not unless Thomas calls his Senator. I tell her, later. "This is important. Go Check the washing machines," Tomorrow I will call the ACRES program, that invited her to join them in a course on Civil Rights taught by those who were there.

Last Call;
Frank Lautenberg (D-NJ)

I'm compelled to call him. His voicemail isn't full. I start explaining that I live in New York, but grew up in New Jersey. My parents still live there. I ask him to go for the filibuster.

Later this evening:

I don't know what to do. Do I go to the protest in Times Square tomorrow? At least I will be among the angry. I want to make some noise in the street, just to blow off steam. In the meantime, I listen to Mike Malloy.

I check my email: There must be lots of people organizing on the Sojournors website. They are organizing State of the Union watch parties in states all over the United States as a way to build community and promote discussion.

I don't know what I will do. I will not be a spectator. This is no time to feel bad, bitch or complain. It's time to continue working on the grassroots level. My daughter says I should run for mayor. I laugh at this. But right now, I feel like why not me?

If you can't sit and do nothing:
MidtermElection.com- A website that gives the dates for all the Primary and General Election days for 2006.
www.worldcantwait.org

Stuff to Read:
Buzzflash.com-Ten Questions That No One Bothered to Ask Americans About Sam Alito
www.counterpunch.org/ roberts01292006- "Blind Ignorance" by Paul Craig Roberts

No comments: